2019 Camp FAQ
Q: What should my child bring each day to camp?
A: Every camper should come with a labelled backpack with the following labeled items:
- One or two full water bottles. Check and double check for leaks.
- Bike and Helmet (for bike camps)
- If possible, a water bottle holder/cage on bike (for bike camps)
- Sunscreen and a Hat
- Extra socks
- A lightweight layer, and an extra set of clothing, just in case the wind gets chilly or wet
- Close toed shoes. No crocs, slides, or leather boots. Prefer keens, tennis shoes, or water shoes
- We get in and out off water throughout the days. From bikes to trails and rocky streams to mud – we explore it all. Make our day and your child’s day more enjoyable with the proper footwear. It is challenging to carry and change shoes often throughout day.
A letter will be emailed to all parents prior to each camp listing all items needed, itinerary, and other important information.
Off-site locations: As noted in the camp descriptions, many of our camps meet off site, away from Avery House or SAGE Garden. This means you drop off and pick up at the listed locations. We will provide maps of every off-site location.
Snack: We offer a small snack each morning. However, please pack your child additional snacks in case they prefer to eat something different than what is offered. We try our best to offer foods free of common allergens; however, we cannot always accommodate allergies, so please pack your child extra foods they can eat.
Rafting: This is an optional choice for ages 9-14 for a cost of $45. This year we will raft the Willamette River, led by Free Spirit Journeys, on Thursday for the River Riders Camp (July 29-August 2).
Mary’s River Floating: This is for all campers with no extra fee. Students wear PFD life vests at all times. Floating/rafting is done in strong inflatable boats, with an introduction to raft safety and the use of paddles. Students must get out off on occasion, as water level gets too low to float through. Students will be allowed in the water to float and play, depending on age and safety.
Field Trips by Bus: We travel out of town to several parks and natural areas through First Student bus services. On field trip days we need campers to arrive by 8:30 am with all needed gear. Bus will depart by 9:00 am. Return time from bus field trips is 4:30 pm and pickup is from 4:30-5:00 pm. Buses do not have seat belts, but we follow all bus safety rules.