Birding by Ear!
Instructors Lisa Millbank and Don Boucher from Backyard Naturalist are returning this spring to, once again, offer this amazing opportunity to learn how to identify birds by their call.
Birding by Ear will take your birding ability to the next level, especially in forested areas where birds are difficult to see.
During the classroom sessions, we don’t try to memorize lists of bird sounds, instead we learn methods to help remember bird sounds, and get a basic understanding of the ways in which birds use sound to communicate.
Classroom sessions will be fun and interesting, featuring lots of videos and sound clips. Field trips are all in the Corvallis-Albany area and include listening exercises as well as many opportunities to practice the techniques learned in class.
You’ll be amazed by how many birds you’ll find by just listening!
This course requires a basic background and familiarity with common local birds.
All evening class sessions are held at Avery House Nature Center (1200 SW Avery Dr.)
- Wednesday, May 16 – Class session: 7pm – 9pm
- Saturday, May 19 – Field trip (Talking Water Gardens, Albany) Wetland birds – 9am – noon
- Wednesday, May 23, Class session: 7pm – 9pm
- Saturday, May 26 – Field trip (Bald Hill Park, Corvallis) Open country birds: 9am – noon
- Wednesday, May 30 – Class session: 7pm – 9pm
- Saturday, June 2 – Field trip (Peavy Arboretum, north of Corvallis) Forest birds – 9am – noon
This class is now full!
If you have questions about course content or future classes, please contact email@example.com.