Explore! at Avery House Nature Center! Become a part of our program and gain hands on experience in areas like Environmental, Elementary, and Early Education, Nature Interpretation, Grant Writing, Community Outreach and Event Planning. Our Internships run roughly with OSU/LBCC quarters. Volunteers and interns can work on many different things including community events and outreach, our nature play pre-school, and home school programs.
One of our biggest programs is summer camp. It runs from June 20th to September 2nd. We hold a mandatory 100 hours for a three credit course but hope that interns make a full summer commitment. Applications for summer camp should be completed by May 15th.
- Environmental Education Interns – Assist, Lead and Develop Curriculum for our Nature Education Programs.
Volunteer opportunities are also available in the summer for anyone interested in gaining experience in the field through hands on experiences.
- Environmental Education Volunteers – Assist, Lead and Develop Curriculum for our Nature Education Programs. A minimum of 100 hours is required over a six month period for our volunteers who want to work directly with children. Please look at our Summer Camp offerings to decide if there are any sessions you are particularly interested in, and which weeks/times you will be available to volunteer. Our NaturePlay Preschool class also needs volunteers, and that class is held every Thursday during the summer.
Program Support Volunteers – There are also numerous ways to gain experience and contribute to our organization without working directly with youth and these opportunities have no hourly requirements. We are always looking for volunteers willing to contribute to our land/naturescaping, curriculum & display development, marketing, advertising, social networks, blog, and general organizational management.
Our Spring, Fall and Winter Internships run roughly with OSU and LBCC quarters. These internships are flexible and somewhat open ended in order to give you an enriching experience that will build on your current skill sets.
- Events & Community Outreach Intern – Assist in Social Networking, Marketing, Blogging and Planning of Events that engage the community.
- Interpretive Intern – Improve and Develop Nature Displays, Interactive Event Displays and Animal Education Displays.
- Environmental Education Intern – Assist, Lead and Develop Curriculum for our Nature Education Programs.
To get started, fill out the online application below. Additional internship and guideline information can be found in this document – AveryHouseNatureCenterInternsandVolunteers