Get your hands dirty catching, netting and rolling into the world of bugs! Insect investigation of all different invertebrates: from worms and slugs to spiders and true bugs.
This is a beginner to advanced nature bike camp and is open to bikers of all ability levels including pedal free bikes. Bikers will be grouped by age and ability. Advanced Campers (11-14yrs) will enjoy riding longer distances, off road dirt paths and even begin a mounted insect specimen collection.
Monday: Advanced group bike to Riverfront and beginners bike in and around Avery Park
- Before Care/Drop Off/Lunch/Pick up/After Care: Avery House – ALL DAY
Wonderful World of Arthropods
- Live invertebrates around the park
- Imagine a world without invertebrates
- Arthropods vs Invertebrates
- Slime Investigation
- Ninja Bug Races
Tuesday: Advanced group bike to Philomath Marys River Park and Beginners bike in and around Sunset Park
- Before Care/AM Drop Off: Sunset Park
- Lunch: Beginners stay at Sunset Park and Advanced stay at Mary’s River Park – Playground area at the end of S 11th St in Philomath
- PM Pick Up/After Care: Sunset Park
- Incredible insect metamorphosis
- Hunt for caterpillars, ants and dragonflies
- Anatomy and diversity of insects
- Catch live insects
- Insect mouth game: food selection with sponging, sucking, biting, and chewing
- Design your own unique insect
Wednesday: Advanced group bikes to Bald Hill and beginners to Benton County Fairgrounds
- Before Care/AM Drop Off: Campus Way Trail–Parking Lot @ Campus Way and 35th
- Lunch: Beginners at Campus Way and Advanced group at Fairgrounds-Oak Grove
- PM Pick Up/After Care: Benton County Fairgrounds-Oak Grove
- Discover local spiders – Dangerous or safe 8 legs and 16 eyes
- What other “bugs” are arachnids? Do scorpions live in Oregon?
- Where do spiders hide?
- Spider webbing games – hang out and climb through human size webs
Thursday: All groups bike along the Willamette
- Before Care/AM Drop Off: Crystal Lake Sports Park
- Lunch: Willamette Park
- PM Pick Up/After Care: Crystal Lake Sports Park
- Net for aquatic invertebrates
- Discover water mites and damselflies
- Food chains in the river
Friday: Advanced bikers to OSU Campus Entomology Department and beginners stay at Avery Park
- Before Care/AM Drop Off/Lunch/PM Pick Up/After Care: Avery House – ALL DAY
Myriapods and Crustaceans
- How many legs does millipedes and centipedes have?
- Predators vs Decomposers
- Discover their acid and venom adaptations
- What is a roly poly, sow bug, pill bug, potato bug?
- River decomposers and shredders-crayfish hunt
- Crustacean classification challenge
Fill out my online form.