Sustainability Fellows Program: SAGE Sustainable Food Fellow Position Description 2016-2017
The Student Sustainability Initiative (SSI) works to advance student efforts to create a culture of sustainability at OSU through programming that fosters environmental, social, and economic justice. SSI believes educational institutions have a responsibility to model innovative tools, systems, and ways of thinking as living laboratories for sustainability and provide students the experiences to become leaders in their communities creating sustainable change.
The Sustainability Fellowship Program pairs passionate students with campus departments and community organizations working to solve local and global sustainability challenges through research, education, and community engagement. Sustainability Fellowships contribute to projects that support sustainability goals while developing leadership competencies and transferable professional skills through mentorship, networking, and professional development. Participation in the program will enable you to develop the skills to be a sustainability leader including:
- Holistic Systems Thinking
- Sustainability Knowledge Awareness & Integration Skills
- Social Justice
- Sense of Place
- Change Agent Skills
- Practical Competence
The Corvallis Environmental Center is recruiting a SAGE Sustainable Food Fellow to assists in the daily operations of SAGE, the Starker Arts Garden for Education.
The successful candidate will demonstrate an aptitude to be effective in all responsibilities of the position.
- Assist with annual garden design and layout of SAGE
- Implement garden work plan: including planting, watering and harvesting schedule
- Maintain garden infrastructure, garden tools and equipment
- Work with local farms to obtain donations of plant starts
- Solicit in-kind donations and purchase of supplies and equipment
- Deliver produce to local social service agencies
- Assist with and lead volunteer work parties
- Recruit, coordinate and lead events for OSU groups
- Deliver presentations to OSU students and groups
- Represent SAGE at community meetings and events
- Assist at community and fundraising events at the SAGE garden
- Administer and track program evaluations
- Track produce donations
- Track volunteer hours
- Assist in grant writing and reporting
- Participate in staff meetings
- Must be a currently enrolled student at Oregon State University in at least 6 academic credits
- Must be in good academic standing for the term prior to selection and during entire period of employment
- Must maintain at least a cumulative GPA of 2.0 (undergraduates) or 3.0 (graduates)
- Demonstrated knowledge of and passion for holistic (environmental, social, and economic) sustainability
- Prior involvement in leadership activities, student organizations, event planning and/or outreach activities
- Maintain at least a cumulative and term GPA of 2.5 (undergraduates)
- Position dates: September 21, 2016 – June 9, 2017
- Hours: average 10-15 hours each week
- Pay rate $10.55 per hour
- Office location: 116 SW 4th St, Corvallis, OR 97333
- Fellows are required to attend bi-weekly supervisory meetings
- Fellows are required to participate in monthly professional development with SSI as members of the Sustainability Fellows Cohort. These professional development activities will be paid hours with a 10 hour requirement per term.
- Fellows are required to complete a reflective E-Portfolio and present on their learning on campus at the end of the year.
OSU commits to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
No Longer Accepting Applications for 2016/2017