Volunteer Educators are a crucial part of our SAGE Farm Field Trip programs. Volunteer Garden Educators help guide the1,000 students who come out to SAGE for a hands-on program that complements their classroom science curriculum. Volunteer Educators lead students through learning stations, teach about the garden, and help students plant, tend or harvest food from SAGE.
Applications for Fall Field Trip Educators are currently being accepted.
Volunteer term: September 13-October 27. Apply today!
- Commit to volunteering as a SAGE Field Trip Educator one morning a week from 8:30-12:15 (choose Tues, Weds OR Thurs) for the Fall season
- Attend a Farm Field Trip Educator training session (dates and time TBD)
- Lead students (K-3rd) through pre-assigned activity stations during their field trips at SAGE Garden
- Ensure the safety and well being of all students while on-site
- Interact with participants and other volunteers in a friendly and enthusiastic manner
- Maintain clear and open communication with SAGE staff and other volunteers
- Must enjoy working with children
- Comfortable being and working in an outside setting during all types of Oregon weather
- Ability to work in farm setting- digging, using hand tools, walking on uneven ground
- Interest in outdoor education or urban gardening
- Prior experience teaching, gardening or farming preferred
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check
- Training on Farm Field Trip program which includes basic outdoor education tips and tricks and gardening with kids
- Opportunity to develop skills and experience teaching garden-based, outdoor education
- Spend time outdoors giving kids a positive experience with local food in a fun environment!
OPTIONAL: Earn academic credits– available to LBCC & OSU students. Check-in with your advisor to see if this experience qualifies for your academic program.