Volunteer Educators are a crucial part of our SAGE Farm Field Trip programs. Volunteer Garden Educators help guide the1,000 students who come out to SAGE for a hands-on program that complements their classroom science curriculum. Volunteer Educators lead students through learning stations, teach about the garden, and help students plant, tend or harvest food from SAGE.
- Commit to volunteering as a SAGE Field Trip Educator one morning a week from 8:30-12:15 (choose Tues, Weds OR Thurs) for the Fall season
- Attend a Farm Field Trip Educator training session (dates and time TBD)
- Lead students (K-3rd) through pre-assigned activity stations during their field trips at SAGE Garden
- Ensure the safety and well being of all students while on-site
- Interact with participants and other volunteers in a friendly and enthusiastic manner
- Maintain clear and open communication with SAGE staff and other volunteers
- Must enjoy working with children
- Comfortable being and working in an outside setting during all types of Oregon weather
- Ability to work in farm setting- digging, using hand tools, walking on uneven ground
- Interest in outdoor education or urban gardening
- Prior experience teaching, gardening or farming preferred
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check
- Training on Farm Field Trip program which includes basic outdoor education tips and tricks and gardening with kids
- Opportunity to develop skills and experience teaching garden-based, outdoor education
- Spend time outdoors giving kids a positive experience with local food in a fun environment!
OPTIONAL: Earn academic credits– available to LBCC & OSU students. Check-in with your advisor to see if this experience qualifies for your academic program.