2018-2019 Nature School
Classes begin September 24, 2018 – REGISTER TODAY!
Monday & Wednesdays 1:00 – 3:30 PM
Nature School at Avery House Nature Center compliments online school programs, parent led homeschooling, and child directed learning for grades 2nd – 5th. Although we are not a formal school, enrollment follows the Corvallis public school calendar.
Nature School benefits students through:
- small class sizes and mixed age groups;
- experienced educators and a place-based learning environment;
- nature based content across the curriculum (math, reading, writing, geography, art); and
- child-centered learning practices designed to meet state level and national sustainability standards.
NEW THIS YEAR! Investigative STEAM (Science-Technology-Engineering-Art-Math) projects that engage students in asking questions & problem solving. Hands-on activities that challenge students to make observations and hypothesize. Lessons will include both verbal and written communication. Students will record findings in field journals using drawings, written descriptions, poems, charts, graphs, keywords, date, weather conditions, temperature and other factors. We will work with each student at their appropriate individual skill level.
Session 1: Forest Diversity—September 24 – December 7
- Identify 10 or more common Oregon native forest plants
- Understand how plants grow and begin the food chain
- Learn about the process of decomposition in rocks and plants
Session 2: Urban WILD—January 7 – March 8
- Discover positive humans can have in urban habitats & wildlife
- Learn classification of common species
- Understand how plant and animals are connected to our local watershed
Session 3: Wetland Cycles—April 1 – June 7
- Learn about carbon and nitrogen cycles in air-plants-soils-animals
- Investigate changes in temperature, rainfall & plant communities
- Insect life cycles and connections with the food web
Every Monday meet @ Avery House Nature Center
Every other Wednesday meet @ a local natural area: Bald Hill Park, Willamette Park Finely Wildlife Refuge, McDonald Dunn Forest & Peavy Arboretum, and other areas TBD.
Cost: $176/month ($440 for each 10 week session)
Avery House Nature Center is located at 1200 SW Avery Dr, in Avery Park, Corvallis, OR 97333.
****We also offer a NaturePlay (Tu/Th) afternoon class (12:30-3:30) for ages 4-7. NatureSchool students that are age 7 can also attend the Tu/Th class as well. Visit our NaturePlay webpage for more detail and registration****